Sunday, August 15, 2010

August 17-21 Antipasto Salad & Chicken Pesto Sandwich

Announcing this week’s specials--



Things are shaping up and we are anticipating somewhat cooler weather over the next week. Not soup weather but maybe eat-in-the-courtyard weather. I’ve been adding the plants from my deck and the courtyard is beginning to fill up. It might not look like the Tuscan Villa you see here, but I am willing to plant the seed.
My fantasy Tuscan courtyard
As the one whose dream this is, I thank you for letting me share it with you. Without your participation and commitment to eating something beyond “fast-food”, this dream/experiment/game would not be happening. But you have supported it from day one. I’ve heard from many of you who plan to come by but haven’t yet. Well—let me try to entice you again.

Last week’s 1905 Salad was a big hit with several people ordering it more than once before it went away. I hope this week will create a similar effect. In fact, I am creating 2 specials this week. For you locavores, I am putting an asterisk* by each ingredient that is from a local source.


The first is an Antipasto Salad. The name means “before food” as it is made up of ingredients that are typically served as appetizers in Italy. But this is a hefty salad that will satisfy your mid-day hunger and probably take you well into the evening. For you vegetarians—just tell me and I’ll skip the meats. I start with cabicola (an Italian thin sliced ham) and oven roasted turkey. Then I add provolone and asiago cheeses plus black olives, bell pepper*, roasted red pepper*, tomato*, red onion, artichoke hearts, shaved fresh fennel bulb*, and sliced mushrooms*. This is mixed together with a bit of pasta and romaine. The dressing has fresh basil* and marjoram*, garlic*, olive oil, lemon juice, & wine vinegar. Sound yummy? It is. I’ll top it all off with a roasted red pepper crostini (side of seasoned, toasted bread). Maybe you should share it.


The second special this week is the Chicken Pesto Sandwich. We start with our woodfire roasted chicken breasts sliced thin on our home made bread*. The dressing is pesto made fresh from our own basil*, pine nuts, Mary’s garlic*, and olive oil. We add sliced avocado, mozzarella cheese and tomato*. We’ll serve it with a side of our fresh fruit. Lately the melons*, blueberries, and grapes have combined well with a touch of fresh mint* to make a refreshing fruit side.


Each of these is priced at $6.25. As with all my specials—I only prepare for about 6 servings per day. If you know you want it, I suggest you call in and reserve one. 417-505-0302.


We are very excited with the reception you have given us. Those who call in don’t have a wait. Those who are showing up and placing an order can count on it in less than 7 minutes. If you are not in a hurry, sit back and enjoy a glass of tea or lemonade while I prepare your lunch.


On our days off this week we are working on a sign design. We are fortunate to have two very skilled friends in graphic design and copywriting who are coaching us from afar. Fortunately, they have been to our burg and have seen the real environment in which we are marketing. The guys from Missouri’s Small Business & Technology Development Centers, Mark and Russell, also lent us a DVD on signage. So we are much closer to making that commitment. If you have business questions, they are there to assist and are great. Even better—it is a free service of the university.


Even though you might be in and out really fast, please park only on our side of the lot. Jason, the used car guy, has his business blocked if you park in his lot. He has been nice up to now. There is a ton of room on the east side of the lot.


I am planning to put in a small fountain to add to the ambiance. I am hoping to encircle it with rocks from your property. If there is one thing we have lots of in the Ozarks, it is rocks! So, on your way into town, grab a good sized hunk of rock and drop it by. I think it would be lovely to have our small pond surrounded by rocks from the people who patronize us. Don’t you? I am looking forward to seeing the variety or similarity between them. All those Karst formations should create a nice texture. I am ALL about texture.

Jon & I are both looking forward to seeing you next time you come by. We are both enjoying reconnecting with many WP friends. As fast paced as this ride has been, with as  little preparation as we had done prior to getting set up, we think things are going quite well. We are torn about what to do about being open on Saturday for lunch or Monday or neither. Your input would be a big help. Our last 2 Saturdays were very quiet. Promote more or let it go?

See you soon. Thanks for being a major part of this adventure.











No comments:

Post a Comment