Monday, September 6, 2010

September 7-10 Soup weather at last!

First of all-- we are closed this Monday for Labor Day.

Willow Mountain Mushroom's Portabells
Finally! The weather has calmed down a bit and one can once again confront a bowl of soup. I have those gorgeous portabella mushrooms from Willow Mountain Mushrooms and plan a portabella & brie bisque. A bisque is usually thickened with pureed rice instead of flour--so it is gluten free. The portabellas, as I mentioned last week, were the freshest I have ever seen. This week I'll saute them in butter and olive oil and a touch of white wine ( the alcohol evaporates out during cooking). The brie is a very mild cheese that melts nicely. There will be sauteed onions and garlic plus a touch of parsley and tarragon (from my garden). Simple pure pleasure. This is a thick creamy soup with a light cheese flavor- but not gloppy cheesy. Served with crackers and roasted red pepper tapenade. My tepanade is a concoction of chopped black olives, roasted red peppers, garlic, capers, olive oil and lemon juice. It often includes anchovies-- but not this batch.   Oh Yum!

I am surveying for your favorite soups. I am not using canned or powdered bases. Everything is from scratch. So speak up and get your favorite in the line-up. NO MSG!!!!!!

The sandwich--Grilled Black Forest ham and cheddar. This is a grilled sandwich. Your choice of bread and dressing. I am adding a cranberry horseradish sauce to dressing the line-up for your pleasure.  Served with seasonal fruit salad-- which right now is cantaloupe with blueberries.

The salad--Spinach salad with bacon, hard boiled egg (real farm eggs), red onion, mushroom, tomato, roasted red pepper &; grated mozzarella with glazed pecans and a sweet and sour hot bacon dressing. Served with crackers and roasted red pepper tapenade.

Good news for quesadilla fans! One of our most popular items has been the chicken quesadilla. I am increasing the size of the tortilla-- so you'll get a bigger serving. 10" instead of 8". You math wizards-- tell me how much larger that is-- keeping in mind it is a circle. Let's see-- you increase the diameter by 25%...you still get guacamole, salsa and sour cream on the side. Price remains the same. Double the chicken for $1 more.

Are you having an office meeting? Call in the day before and we'll have everybody's order ready to cart off right on time. We LOVE LOVE LOVE having office orders. Call in the day ahead and we'll even throw in free batch of cookies.

The umbrellas are in and many diners took advantage of the lovely weather and shady tables. I absolutely love to look out of my cooking spot and see happy diners enjoying the courtyard, good food and each other's company. It is totally ok to linger as long as other diners are not awaiting tables.

The community table is now available for those who wish to add company while dining.

Because it is outdoor dining, it is also pet friendly. If you bring along your dog all I ask is that you are considerate of others and have your pet leashed and under your control. I have been a dog owner for most of my life and know how seldom pets are welcome in dining areas. Need water? --no problem. Our itty bitty birdbath is just the right height.

2 comments:

  1. I was thinking just this morning that it wouldn't be long before you started serving soup again! I look forward to trying yours when you start serving it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mushroom/brie soup is one of my favorites. Wish you weren't so far away. Hope all is working out well for you.

    ReplyDelete