Sunday, July 17, 2011

The energy of Hope

Anyone who has rooted for an underdog team and suddenly witnessed their potential triumph has experienced the visceral energy that hope can generate. The energy is tangible and can continue to build or be swept away in the blink of an eye. Nevertheless, the fact that hope had entered the scene created a ripple in the environment. It can be contagious, too, spreading and raising the spirits of all who witness it.

Jon and I have had the joy of experiencing this energy with A La Carte. We took on the challenge as a solution to our financial tightrope. After months of dismal news regarding sales in the art world, and Jon's having seen his customer base in massage marketing dwindle, we have been overjoyed at the consistency with which we have seen our efforts result in growth here in the cafe. You, our customers, have had a big role in this result and given us many moments of joy as we meet and get to know you.

Recently, news of political gridlock have taken some of the wind from our sails and left us shaking our heads in disgust at the grandstanding on both sides of the aisle. Promises of national prosperity seem empty and politicians seem only interested in the next election. That was my frame of mind when I picked up a book by Daniel Burrus and my viewpoint expanded. I, once again, felt a sense of hope. Burrus is known for his advice as a consultant to major corporations regarding their role in the future economy. He sees the potential outcome of all the technology coming down the pike and even has predicted future needs that will be filled—whether by the companies that seemed poised to provide those services or by others that heed the signs and jump to take themselves to the front of the pack. He not only is able, himself, to see this future, he has provided the tools and insight for others to make the leaps that solve their own challenges. The world needs more Burrus's.

Rather than tearing down, scattering skepticism and hopelessness, he has chosen to find ways to look over the top of the stampeding herds of the desperate struggling through this economy and be a beacon of hope. In my eyes this makes him a hero. I have stopped reading his book just before bed as his ideas get my mind racing and sleep retreats. However, when I find my energy lagging, I pick up his book and feel uplifted. The name of the book is Flash Foresight—How to see the invisible and do the impossible. I picked it up at the Thayer Library. I'll be buying a copy of my own to keep. Usually, I limit my reading to some form of escapism as a gentle sling to drop me into sleep. I picked up this book knowing that the library was going to be closed for a bit while in the process of being remodeled and I just had to be sure I had plenty to read. I am so glad I did. He has given me reason to embrace the technological changes that have become inevitable and see them for their potential instead of signs that the world has passed me by. I thought I had decided that all the new technology was the realm of the young and that I could happily skip the next few technological upgrades. I am still waiting for hearing aids to become reasonably priced so I can hear at a normal level again. Did you know that the decent ones cost over $5,000? He blew that concern out of the water by talking about how the hearing aid industry will now be going after ways to get Baby Boomers expecting "better than normal hearing." I'm game!

So in the vein of hopefulness, I am delighted to tell you that many varieties of local produce we have been awaiting have finally begun to arrive. Just last week a customer brought me a bucket of heirloom cucumbers. They were gorgeous, preciously rare and most tasty. My supply of tomatoes is outstanding and the sandwiches and salads are benefiting from the rich, deep flavor these properly harvested fruits are capable of delivering. We bought a bag of freshly picked, locally raised corn  and served some of it on the cob Friday evening. More will be served this week. The squashes are abundant. The eggplants succulant. What more could you want? Let the celebration of good food begin!

Renee Wood and Tom Rowley will join us Friday night playing saxophone and guitar in a wonderful jazz duet. They always draw a nice crowd and reservations are strongly recommended! We love how their sounds fill our space. I swear we can hear the sound continuing to bounce off the walls while we do our final clean-up. It is a happy sound.

We are trying again to offer an "Early Bird Special." We lived in Florida for six years and learned to appreciate this local fare. We are offering it only from 4:30-6:00pm Friday evening. By eating early, diners are able to eat inexpensively while the eating establishment is able to make better use of an ordinarily down time. When you have plans for the evening elsewhere, the Early Bird is a good solution that gets you fed and onto your next event—like the performances at the Avenue Theater of Willy Wonka or perhaps jamming with the Heart of the Ozarks Bluegrass guys in front of the West Plains Music Store or even a 7pm movie. At 6pm our Friday night menu kicks in and tasty, seasonal, local fare is offered. This is where I get to be more creative and daring and you benefit.

So here is the "flavor journeys" menu for next week. As always, we use as much fresh, local ingredients as we can get our hands on. It is going to get really hot later in the week and I'm working to help cool you down.

Monday~ Pulled pork sandwiches, our own coleslaw and corn on the cob served with melted butter or chili/lime butter. I can cut the kernels off the cob, if you prefer. $6.25
Tuesday~Wood-fired chicken tamales with sun-dried tomato zesto and mozzarella cheese sauce with confetti'd orzo. $6.25
Wednesday~Pimento cheese quesadillas with heirloom cucumber salad. $6.25 Also, panzanella salad. Panzanella salad=lots of fresh tomatoes, fresh basil, onions, Kalamata olives and our own bread to soak up the juices. 
Thursday~ Herbed pizzas with carmelized onions, chipotle and sour cream, wood-fired chicken, mozzarella, fresh roma tomatoes and fresh basil served with heirloom cucumber salad $6.75 Also, spinach salad topped with Caprese salad. Caprese salad = fresh mozzarella, fresh tomatoes and fresh basil with a touch of extra virgin olive oil. $6.25
Friday~Lunch~Chicken and watermelon salad with feta, mint, basil, red onion and cucumber. $6.25
Early Bird Special~ from 4:30-6:00pm~Beef and Sausage Mostaciolli (a fat macaroni)  with salad.
Dinner~A) Cornish game hen with a sweet glaze, fresh corn pudding, and steamed cabbage. Served with Caprese salad $12 B) Seafood Piccata (shrimp, scallops and crab in a lemon sauce over pasta) served with Caprese salad $12 C) Zucchini and summer squash-filled crepes with a lemon parsley sauce, corn pudding and Caprese salad $10 
I love hearing your feedback. Most of all, we are thrilled to get to know so many of you. After years of working alone in either our offices or studio, the interaction with you keeps us jazzed and happy. You are a force of energy and you give us hope! Thanks for being there!
~~Susan 

No comments:

Post a Comment