Monday, August 29, 2011

Rhythms and fresh starts

Last week I mentioned how my resolve to finish projects has strengthened as the year reaches its final stretch. Also, how this time of year is the time to harvest our efforts. Well, it is also the time of year for fresh starts. I have one more chance to get it right when it comes to gardening. Sadly, I am a plant-it-, water-it-,expect-it-to-grow kind of plant mother. There isn't a lot of time for nurturing. Come to think of it, I was that kind of Mom, too.

Anyhoo... I like that my geranium failures can be replaced with chrysanthemum beauty. So watch for new color in the garden.

Labor Day seems like the cusp of a period when folks go from pursuing a happy-go-lucky free-spirited randomity to finding a more focused direction with its higher level of predictability and regimen. I'm not sure if one is better than the other. As a restaurateur, I am hoping the latter brings in a larger daily lunch crowd. One of the aspects of living here is that usually we have three full months of each season. (I know this year has been quite bizarre) By the time I am bored or fully tired of one season, the next one is announcing that it's arrival is imminent. I have spent more than 30 years of my life living in places where the summers were very lengthy and spring and fall happened in a blink. So I have a high appreciation for noting the seasonal changes. Each season has time to fully roll out its show and no one season is unbearable.

Hopefully, we will soon be enjoying having the front and back doors open to the fresh cool fall air. I love the sound of the cafe when the doors are open to the world. It makes one feel so much more a part of the rhythm of the town and its seasons.

We are closer to having the paperwork done to apply for our liquor licensing. I am having to play catch-up on some of it. But weekly progress IS being made.

Thank you for filling out our survey cards. I am not changing the questions this week so I can get more answers from the questions I posed last week. If you haven't filled one out, (they are on the table in front of you) please do so. We know you have a vested interest in how things develop around here.  It shows in how you often bus your own table. We know you care and want to help.

Are you a seared tuna fan? Have you tried our new Tuna Roman? I pan-sear (rare is the usual, but you may have it the way you like), add a smear of kicky wasabi mayonnaise, spicy sprouts and tomato and stack them on a freshly made Roman bun. Tell me, do you think it needs a slice of avocado? Anyway, it is tasty and gathering a big fan base.

Friday night this week we will be closed. We'll be heading into the Labor Day Weekend and that means we will close Monday as well. So get your fix early.

Now here's the weekly flavor journeys~
All week~Tuna Roman served with side or chips $6.50
Monday~Our usual spinach salad topped with seared tuna $6.50
Tuesday~Chicken Cordon Bleu Tamales—Poached chicken and black forest ham stuffed tamales with Swiss cheese sauce and rainbow rice $6.50
Wednesday~Crab cakes with side salad and garlic parsley red potatoes $7.00
Thursday~Pesto pizza with prosciutto, brie, roasted red peppers and fresh tomatoes and kalamata olives. $7.00 with side salad
Friday~Hong Kong style Chop Suey—a blend of pork and beef chunks with celery simmered in a rich broth of soy sauce and Chinese bead molasses served with steamed rice $6.50

Hope you enjoy your last week of summer! We'll be here cooking for you.

~~Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment