Monday, January 14, 2013

Weekending 1/19 Focus, Re-focus

Whenever a company has a major turnover in staff it gives the management an opportunity to refine its purposes and long-term goals. Those could be done at any time, but changeover allows for a more instant re-focusing. As that time has come, I am now re-looking at what I hope to accomplish with the cafe. Most of all I want it to a be a collaboration of folks who share a similar vision of creating good, REAL food with minimal adulteration, using as many fresh, locally sourced ingredients as possible. I want it to be the result of more than my single input. Exposing one to the many flavors of the world expands one's vision and responsibility for taking care of the planet while tantalizing the taste buds. To that end we are expanding our team of dedicated cooks and servers. I want people who are passionate about the quality of foods that they not only serve but eat themselves. I feel healthy choices should be an easy decision not fraught with the marketing attempts of the major industrial food complex to simply give you the highest calories per dollar spent. I want people who are aware of their role in the world's food chain and seek ways to make it a better place. People with gumption and industry who try to give more back to the world than they are taking. People who are not content to sit back and watch the world unfold without questioning, on a daily basis, what could be improved and what they, themselves, can do about it. Do you know anybody with that vision or a similar one? Please send them to me so we can talk.

I am deep into reading the Omnivore's Dilemma.by Michael Pollen. I thought I had a pretty good grasp of the American food industry and where we fit into it. Ouch! I had such a minor view, and I realize now just how thoroughly the marketing of the major industrial food complex has infiltrated our lives. It is stunning to read how, what I thought, was a simple pure ingredient, corn, has completely changed our way of eating in the last 50 years. Mr. Pollen takes us through the changes that have affected crop yields, price controls, overabundance and the problem of creating an artificial need to consume more calories to support this complex.

A few years ago we drove west through western Kansas and eastern Colorado, driving though miles and miles of cattle feedlots. It was eye-watering, eye-opening and a sensual invasion. Through Mr. Pollen's book I saw how those feedlots have taken what previously took 2-3 years to bring a steer to market weight of 1200 pounds and has reduced it to considerably less than 2 years by massively feeding the cattle ingredients their bodies are not meant to digest. To enable them to survive this injustice they are routinely given antibiotics. This trickles down to our consuming those antibiotics through the food we eat. When a nasty bacteria comes along and we need an antibiotic, we are now less resistant and the bacteria have developed resistance as well. I thought I understood all that already. Not like this. If you want to see what you can do, first by simple awareness, I highly encourage you to read this enlightening and easy-to-read  book. I was able to buy it for my Kindle for $2.99.

Another book I have entertained myself with over the weekend is Come In, We're Closed—An invitation to staff meals at the world's best restaurants. More than any other book I've read on the restaurant industry, this book gives insight into the philosophies of the owners and chefs of these world renowned eateries. Yes, there are recipes, but mostly they share their viewpoints on the value of team building and the importance of sitting down together each day and enjoying a meal together. This tradition is common in much of the world's great kitchens but often lacking in the get-it-done-as-fast-as-you-can-prep-world of the American restaurant kitchen.  I intend to bring it back as a regular perk for our staff. While it is common to use up leftovers and not-quite-perfect parts in the staff meal, the book also points out the importance of making sure those who are creating and serving the customers the "good stuff" also get to enjoy a thoughtful meal, well prepared and to be able to let off steam either before or after a major dinner service. For us that will most likely translate to Friday afternoon. I look forward to the cohesiveness this might engender. I agree with Anita Lo, chef and owner of Annisa in New York that "I don't see how you can make your staff care about food if you are not feeding them well."

The excitement is building for our first Flavor Excursion—the Philippines.  I've been learning all about adobos and various far-flung ingredients like coconut vinegar. Research has led me to a source for 10-25 pounds of fresh banana leaves that will be incorporated in the dishes and the decor. I am entertained watching my purveyors look at me blankly when asked about certain ingredients as they frantically type on their laptops to dig out info. I am sure much of the ingredients will end up being sourced online.  I am looking forward to speaking with our wine sources to best pair dishes with their vino counterpart. We are only allowing 20 to participate in this first excursion, and reservations have begun to come in.  I am expecting the final cost to be approximately $60 per person inclusive of wine pairings. The date has been set for Saturday, February 23rd. Part of the experience will be a verbal introduction to each course with the purpose of creating a wider understanding of, not only the foods but the people and their culture. It'll be like a mini vacation without the need for a passport. Hmmm. Maybe we need to create our own special passport.

Seafood EntrĂ©e~You may remember last year in March we flew in 25 pounds of fabulously large shrimp from Port St. Joe in Florida. Well this week we are doing it again. These huge babies are classified as 9-12 per pound. I'll briefly marinate them in citrus and spices and grill them. They'll be served in a pineapple "boat" along with grilled fresh pineapple and a calico rice and fresh stir-fry. The photo image is from last year's batch. You'll be offered a choice of soup or salad, as well. In keeping with my pride in serving sustainable, identifiable foods I can tell you these will come right off the boat of a family that has been shrimping in the Gulf of Mexico for many, many years.The Wood family has been in the shrimping business for five generations, and they source wild-caught, sustainable shrimp from the best shrimping boats in the Gulf. The fishery is sustainably managed and harvested, with each and every shrimp traceable back to the captain who landed it. The cost will be $17.99 and the availability limited. Reservations strongly suggested.

My other Flavor Journey this week is an apple-stuffed pork loin roast served with a scalloped sweet potato stack and fresh green beans and carrots with mushrooms plus soup/salad. The apple stuffing gives a nice counterpoint to the savory of the pork.$14.99

The soup this week is Long Soup—think Asian flavors, pork, cabbage and noodles. Later in the week I'll make a mushroom and wild rice soup using locally raised mushrooms.

What's for lunch? Here you go for a chilly week:
Tuesday~Spicy peanut chicken tacos $7.50
Wednesday~Mostaccioli and side salad $7.50 (beef and tomato/onion, pasta casserole)
Thursday~Tuna casserole—old fashioned but sauce made from scratch with side salad $7.50
Friday~ Shrimp and sweet potato grits with side salad $7.75

Thank you for your continued support, referrals and friendships. We treasure them. Stay warm and stay loved.
~~Susan






No comments:

Post a Comment